Artistic Director Darla Johnson


Artistic Director Darla Johnson

Q.     What has inspired you to teach dance?
As a young child I wanted to be a teacher. When I came to dance all I could think of was finding ways to be in the studio. So, I started teaching an improvisation class so that I could be dancing and exploring at the same time.
Q.      What is the best thing you have learned in a dance class - as a teacher or a student?
To follow my heart and my intuition. To stay positive and to give 100% of myself.
Q.       What is your background in dance?
I started training at the University of Minnesota, Duluth, then at UT Austin. I moved to New York and studied and performed there. I've had 4 different dance companies and have toured nationally and internationally performing and teaching residencies.
Q.       Do you have a mentor who inspires or inspired you?
Nina Martin is still and friend and mentor
Q.       How did you get into dance?
I took a modern dance class my first semester of college and fell in love with it.
Q.      How long have you been dancing?
I started dancing in college. I was always an active person and played different types of team sports. And, I always danced, in my living room, at weddings, parties, wherever there was music.
Q.      Do you like to dance barefoot or with socks?
Always barefoot. I want to feel the floor beneath me.
Q.       What is your spirit animal?
It changes as I change. Right now I believe it to be the Heron.

Comments

Popular Posts