Interview with Choreographer Cynthia Schach



My major is Dance and I plan to get my associate’s degree. I’m from South Texas aka the valley. I was born in Mcallen, Tx, and raised in Harlingen, TX. I am German and Swedish. My favorite color is blue.  My favorite books are Milk & Honey and The Sun and her Flowers by Ruri Kaur. My favorite movie is Across the Universe. My favorite song is Find your Wings by Tyler the creator and my favorite musical artists are Tyler and Frank Ocean. I have been dancing since I was five. Ballet has always been my favorite style and my inspiration to keep dancing.  The dance artists who have inspired me most are Martha Graham and Lester Horton.
After I receive my associate degree in dance, my goal is to get my bachelor’s in business, and then eventually in the future, open up my own studio or some type of business involved with dance and art.  The title for my piece is “Empty Parts”.   My intentions are for it to be powerful and sweet.  Hopefully, it will express something new to others and also expose a new side of me.  My piece is based on curving movements and dance experiences mixed with my own personal style.  My storyline is that I keep going back to ballet, back to first position, and each time I  break free I find myself eventually back at the same place again. Doing this project within the circumstances of sheltering in place because of the CoronaVirus has been very difficult because I never really intended on creating a solo.   I had to change my whole idea.  It was also difficult to find a space big enough to move and the time and energy to go out into this world and dance with all of the restrictions. I hope my audience feels a sense of sadness and sees my darker aesthetic. I hope the audience understands the depth that I am trying to express in this piece. I hope they can see what is going on inside of me.

Comments

Popular Posts