Interview with Choreographer Venese Alcantar



Ann Powell: You've been through pregnancy twice now.  And you danced through both? How has the experience of pregnancy (and giving birth and nursing, if you want to include those) changed your experience of dance?  I'm not asking if pregnancy changed your balance or flexibility, but how did going through pregnancy enrich, shift or evolve your emotional, mental or even spiritual experience of dance?

Venese Alcantar: I did dance through both- though at completely different levels of intensity. During my first pregnancy I was dancing with Ormao, as well as teaching. My days were compacted with movement- anywhere from 6-8 hrs every day. My days during my second pregnancy were nowhere near as physically demanding, though more often than not I felt more exhausted- toddlers are incredibly busy beings.

To be pregnant is to negotiate within the body and mind. How I felt in my body during each pregnancy is so drastically different. What they did share in common was a sense of camaraderie between me and baby. We are sharing the day, I was their fish bowl for a moment and through me they were taking in the world. The negotiations and compromises are never ending from there on out. Having children has enriched my dancing. I don’t mean technique- simply the way I sense myself in time and space.


A: How did you get started in dance?

V: My Mother’s passion for movement and my Father’s love affair with theatre. Both are highly involved in the artistic community back home in CO. I was just lucky enough to find myself engulfed by the artistic world- truly my playground, but actually- my Father often brought home large sections from sets he had created and built playgrounds for us in the yard.


A: Who/What have been your major influences?  Dance forms, teachers or styles, dance schools, etc.

V: In whole- my parents. Their influence appears in what is all at once patience and drive. I witnessed their late nights at the theatre and came to understand the often unrewarded effort exerted into one’s art. In regard to artistic voice the most influential Beings have been a pair of Women, Kristen Van Loon and Arwen Wilder. They are the improvisational performance group ‘Hijack’, based out of Minneapolis. I was near 10 when I had the pleasure of witnessing them. I was forever touched and fermented by their provocative ways. Their work never fails to make me laugh.

A: What is your current favorite dance form?  Has this changed from when you first started dancing?

V:  I don’t have a favorite dance form or style. I’ve been influenced by many genres and techniques - I find myself more drawn to and affected by emotion and context.


A:  Are you a dance major?  When do you anticipate graduating?  

V:  I am a dance major and plan on transferring next semester.

A:  How do you balance various parts of your life – taking classes, work, friends & family, etc?

V:  Balance... I can’t say I do manage to balance everything. There are times of chaos.  I recall a painting from my childhood library. A jester balancing random treasures- a chicken, a tea cup, an old shoe, a small boat; the list goes on. His face was fairly calm. That’s how I feel- I’m often comfortably teetering on the edge. For me it’s more interesting that way. I manage to find graceful moments because I stay honest with myself. When I’ve suddenly gone weeks without writing a family member or haven’t looked at emails in two weeks I own it and apologize.

Often times people have this notion that once children are a part of the equation work suddenly becomes too much. This misconception is especially prevalent in the dance world. My role as Mother has positively informed my work, my drive ... and my work informs my role as Mother. I can say my partner plays a huge role in my daily success.


A:  What do you see as your future in dance?  

V:  My future in dance... well the future is now. Right now I rather like moving so I’m going to continue to move. I will find myself returning to school and finishing my BFA next semester.


A: You recently attended ACDA. Other than the ACC pieces, which dances were some of your favorites presented there?  

V:  I did attend ACDA...I didn’t have a favorite piece, there were many wonderful works! The pieces were all very different; a range of technique, context and use of props. I had such an enjoyable time at ACDA!!

Comments

Popular Posts