Interview with Choreographer Maira Montes






How did you get started in dance?
I started dancing in elementary school. I grew up in Chihuahua Mexico and I was a member of the school’s Ballet Folklorico Dance group. 

Are you a dance major/ what is your major?
Yes, I am a dance major at ACC. 

Who/What have been your major influences?  Dance forms, teachers or styles, dance schools, etc.

My major influences have been my first teacher ever who was my Folklorico dance teacher, Malena Contreras and also Dana Foglia who I’ve trained with as well. 
But mostly my peers have the biggest influence on me. 

Tell me a little bit about your piece.
My piece is about breaking away from things that don’t necessarily align with your beliefs and finding the courage to venture into new things. 

Favorite choreographer/piece/dance style?
I have come to really admire Mats Ek as a choreographer and I love his piece “Apartement” 

What are your plans for the future in dance? 
I plan on finishing my bachelor's in Dance Performance and continue onto a Master's degree in hopes of one day teaching dance professionally.

Comments

Popular Posts