Interview with Choreographer Heidi Landau



I grew up in Central Florida and studied visual arts at the University of Florida, earning my BFA in Drawing in 2006. After moving to Austin in 2007, I continued working as a visual artist (mostly work on paper), alongside many other odd jobs. I started taking dance classes at ACC as a means to further develop and expand my artistic practice.

My piece, One Way of Looking, is a meditation on the specificity of space and the tension of what is seen versus what is not seen or obscured. The days of quarantine have brought us into new ways of looking and relating to our spaces, often isolating and limited. I wanted to create a framework that spoke to those boundaries and create something within the limitations. Everything that appears in the film was collected on-site.

Artistically, I would like to continue to participate in residencies and possibly enroll in a graduate program.

Comments

Popular Posts